Monday, February 05, 2007

Book Review: "Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker"

My grandmother is crafty. My mom is crafty. My aunt is crafty. So naturally, they passed along that crafty gene on their X chromosome to me. However, no one in my family really crochets, so everything I learned about crocheting was passed on through informal lessons with a couple of friends. As a result, the only thing I can crochet with any confidence is a scarf.

Enter Debbie Stoller's fun and fresh approach to crocheting for Generation X: Stitch 'N Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker.




I am putting a lot of faith in Stoller's claim that her book can teach anyone -- even knitters -- to crochet, as I am not only left-handed, but also have trouble creating anything three-dimensional from a 2D representation.

Stoller discusses a history of crocheting and then explains the tools of the trade, relevant lingo and how to read a pattern. Explanations of stitches are thorough and placed in a logical sequence. Though explained from a right-handed point of view, southpaws like myself shouldn't have a problem inverting the directions.

The book also contains about forty patterns using the techniques outlined in the first part of the book. Each pattern shows a photograph of the finished item, provides specific information about the yarn and materials used, and gives a background of the pattern designer.

The patterns are also cute and fun, appropriate for the target audience of twenty-somethings. It's sometimes hard to find patterns that aren't too grandmother-ish, but this book hit the nail on the head. I haven't completed any projects yet, so the verdict isn't in as to how the patterns match up to the visual representations of the finished product.

All in all, Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet provides an fun and unintimidating entree to crocheting for young women trying to capture our grandmothers' lost art.

No comments: