Friday, February 02, 2007

What If There Is No Tomorrow? There Wasn't One Today.

Well, y'all, it's Groundhog Day. Lucky for us, for the first time in years, both the national groundhog, Punxsutawney Phil, and our very own General Beauregard Lee, predicted an early spring. This comes as timely and welcome news, given yesterday's winter weather fiasco.

I really have to wonder where this strange tradition began. Taking season change forecasts from a rodent seems mighty odd to me, particularly one named Gen. Lee who lives in a miniature antebellum mansion. Southerners will apparently take any opportunity to shove their Civil War heritage in your face when assigning nomenclature, whether it be to a groundhog or a Dodge Charger.

I was thinking that instead of checking weather.com each day, I could just buy my own groundhog and keep him in the house. Then I would always be abreast of changing weather conditions. Not sure how the Terrorists would like that, though.

No comments: